Work permit & employment for third country nationals – jobs for non-European students taking an English course

If you are a non-European student and are enrolled for an English Language course with Gateway School of English GSE in Malta for a minimum of 90 days, you can apply for a work permit which is issued by Jobsplus (the employment agency in Malta).

Third Country Nationals (non-European students) who are following English language courses at educational establishments licensed by the ELT English Language Teaching Council (Gateway School of English is licensed by the ELT Council Licence No 241/MB 08), may take up employment in Malta for a maximum period of 20 hours per week. Only students whose course exceeds a minimum duration of 90 days and are issued with a respective Visa indicating such may apply for an employment licence.

These applications are subject to labour market considerations and will be considered more favourably if the employment offer is related to their respective field of studies. Application for employment licences for students are received from the employer seeking to recruit the student, so if you would like to apply for a permit your employer has to submit the necessary documents to Jobsplus (the employment agency in Malta).

What documents do I need to apply?

Please see documents checklist here: Gateway School of English GSE Checklist for documents needed to apply for a permit to work in Malta while studying English

Important information:

  • application for the NEW employment licence must reach Jobsplus at least two months before the start of work
  • application for an EXTENSION of an employment licence must reach Jobsplus at least one month before expiry of the active licence
  • an application for an extension of an existing licence after the expiry date will not be accepted thus an application for a new licence must be submitted in this case
  • the employment licence is valid for a maximum of 12 months
  • an employment licence is issued to a specific employer to employ a specific person for a specific job and every time a change is made, a new employment licence must be applied for
  • Fees: Euro 150 for a new/extension employment licence; Euro 80 on issue of employment licence


Application for a an employment licence while studying English in Malta with Gateway School of English GSE

Where to apply?

All applications should be submitted by hand or sent by post to the following address:

The Unit Manager, Employment Licence Unit, Jobsplus, Hal Far BBG3000

Tel. +356 21654940 e-mail: [email protected]


An exemption list for students who are seeking employment in specific professional fields (such as Healthcare professionals, Technical and Building professionals, IT, Finance, Gaming and Education Professionals) can be viewed here:

Students studying English in Malta applying for an employment licence – Exemption List

If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to provide you with further information about employment opportunities while you are taking an English course with us: [email protected]