- If you are staying at the Residence, breakfast is from 8:00-9:00 everyday (weekdays and weekends). Lunch is served at 12:15-13:00 on weekdays (from Monday to Friday) only.
- If you are staying with a host family, ask one of the family members to show you the way to the school, and make sure to check at what time meals are served.
- If you are staying in a hotel or an apartment, ask at the Reception or contact one of our staff members for directions to the nearest bus stop and for the bus which stops at ‘Baltiku’, San Ġwann (the bus stop by the School).
- If you arrive on a weekend, you will have your placement test on Monday morning at 9:00 and start your lessons after break at 10:45.
- If you arrive on a weekday (you can also arrive on any day of the week Monday to Friday and not necessarily at weekends), you can have your placement test on the same day and start lessons the following day at 9:00.
Day 1 at School
The Day’s Proceedings on your first day, typically on a Monday however you can arrive on any day of the week (GSE accepts students arriving on any day of the week and not necessarily at weekends)
The Director of Studies (DOS) will greet you at the school entrance and show you to the room where you will have your test. You will be given a general introduction by the DOS and can ask any questions you may have at this point.
The placement test takes between 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes and is the same for everyone. It is a reliable indication of your linguistic competence in English and is therefore crucial for us to determine what level of English you have and which class to place you in.
You can help yourself to some coffee and meet some of the teachers and other students.
Wait by the reception desk at the school entrance for the DOS to give you your course book and show you to class. Time for your first lesson!
|12:15-13:00||Lessons over & lunchtime
Lunch at the residence canteen is for students who have booked accommodation here. Students staying at a different place of accommodation and who would like to have lunch at the school residence can do so at a cost of €10.00, after informing the school or canteen staff on which days they would like to have lunch. (Any special dietary requirements must always be specified in advance.)
On a Monday evening we organize the Valletta by night welcome excursion for all the new students from all over the world – a great opportunity to see Malta’s capital city at night and take wonderful photos. It is also a great way to make new friends on the first day in Malta.
Standard Daily Schedule
Below is a typical weekly schedule of lessons at school.
|Monday – Friday|
|09:00-10:30||General English (Session One – 2 lessons)|
|10:45-12:15||General English (Session Two – 2 lessons)|
Gateway School of English GSE organises a wide range of afternoon and evening activities as part of the social programme. These activities typically involve visiting places of interest, countryside walks and cultural trips. For further information about the activities we organize you can visit the Social Programme page on this website. Afternoon activities are always held after 14:30hrs.
Last day of school
After the last lesson students go to the office to:
- be presented with the end-of-course attendance certificate,
- reconfirm their flight details,
- confirm any airport transfers booked with the school,
- return the course book and any other resources borrowed from the library,
- say goodbye!